Monday, November 30, 2009

The Eye of the Beholder


We were transfixed on Saturday by the sight of a naked woman climbing one of the rocks close to Whale's Peak in Monterey Bay. We had just returned from a fine lunch at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur, and were taking a short hike to walk off the delicious (and insanely priced) sandwiches we had demolished.

She appeared to be utterly unselfconscious, and a friend (collaborator / exploiter?) was shooting photographs of her against a backdrop of the pounding waves of the Pacific. We were too far away to determine exactly what the deal was. A madcap prank, decided on the spur of the moment? A photo shoot for a pinup calendar? An art photography project?

At any rate, the unexpectedness of seeing a nude woman in such a rugged landscape set me to thinking that it is time for me to upset the apple cart a little in pursuing my dreams. (Have no fear, readers, I do not intend to do this by disrobing in any public places). But I do need to shake up my job search by trying new strategies, investigating some professional education options and networking, networking, networking.

This decision comes at a good time, ahead of what I hope will be a slew of good opportunities that show up around the new year. And my renewed effort has received its first shot in the arm, with a glowing introduction from a friend to a recruiter. Regardless of whether I get an interview for that job, the introduction alone served as a three month ego-boost!

We continued our hike, and serendipitously stumbled across an Emerson quote, helpfully carved into the lookout bench at the top of the peak, which could have been written to give us some perspective on our slightly bizarre experience: "Nature and books belong to the eyes that see them". Or nature, books and naked women, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment